Thursday, January 10, 2008

WHEN WE MET OLIVIER KEANU RENAT

I just realized because of an email from Murry, that I never told anyone how it all went down the first time we met our son. Well it was a couple of days after we arrived, (Saturday to be exact) and it was a really weird atmosphere, I’m sure that is why I did not mention it until now! We bet you are thinking that it should have been some kind of euphoric atmosphere but no, it was more like cloak and dagger, hush, hush style, or old Soviet ways!!! Here is how it went down; We entered a bright room, the light bulbs were so strong that our sweat was even hiding, we were told “SIT” and then the questions commenced and the translator was translating, we couldn’t answer questions quick enough, all we said was “DAH, DAH, NIET, DAH”! We tried to catch our breath, but the door opened so quickly, and their stood a large chef with a baby, approaching us rapidly!!! We were in a stupor either from the fact that a chef was holding a baby (what is she going to do) or the fact that a baby is now on our laps and they are telling us “it is our baby” (what should we do)!!! There is a saying for that kind of behavior, I think it is : we felt like deer’s in headlights, Dan still to this day (almost 3 weeks later) still doesn’t know what hit him!!!!
Then we were ushered to a room with our intended (now ours) son and told “you play”!
Well, just to be frank with you all, we didn’t expect any of this. We were briefed a million times before we got to this point and none of the scenario’s resembled this one. So we went in with camera’s blazing, laughter rolling and after an hour we didn’t know what to do…we had not been prepared for this!!! In reality I personally thought I was prepared with all my books, toys and clothes, but I was taken of guard and was still in shock!
My real first moment with Olivier Keanu Renat was when I gave him his bottle on Wednesday the 2nd, I don’t know what happened but we were looking into each others eyes and I was overcome by some serious emotions about whom he is and who we are!!! It is scary to be an orphan; you come with nothing, no identity, no background. I could see his soul, his beautiful eyes full of burning questions at such a young age of 8 months. Full of instinct, especially the one to survive, he is a Kazakh survivor and we are in awe of him. Most of us fight our battles as adults and we get by, but he has been fighting since he was born and abandoned to stay in this game…we are proud!!! We say he is ours and he is, he may have not been created in my womb but there is a connection that we (the 3 of us)felt and will continue to build through trust, understanding and love.